Form and Helpful Information


Download a Vital Statistics Information Sheet to bring to the arrangement conference. This information will be used to acquire state documents (ie. death certificates), newspaper postings, and service information. Familiarizing yourself with these forms will help during the arrangement process.

How many Death Certificates do you need, how is the Social Security Admin notified of a death and who qualifies for Veteran Benefits? Review our Information Guide to gather the information you need.

Bank Loans

Installment Contracts: Call each lending institution and inquire if the loans are insured. They will require a copy of a death certificate if you have an insurance claim.

Death Certificates:

Certified Copy: A Certified copy of the death certificate is available through the health department of the county where the death occurred. These are colored legal documents with County Registrar’s signature and the State seal. These copies are usually required for legal purposes. Certified copies may be obtained through our Funeral Home, or you may request them on your own at a later date through the County, we will gladly provide the address. The funeral home does not charge a fee for acquiring these documents; we obtain the copies on your behalf as a service to you. However, the County does charge a small fee for each death certificate ordered. We ask that you pay that fee. The cost is $25 for the first copy and $20 for each copy afterward.

Usually, certified copies of the death certificate are required for insurance, insured loans, stocks or bonds in joint ownership and for real property in joint ownership. NOTE: You will need to remove the deceased’s name from everything.

Home and Real Property

Take a certified death certificate to the Tax Assessor’s Office in the county in which the property is owned.


Notify a company agent in the local area, or notify the company itself. Check for coverage at the place of employment, auto medical coverage, health and accident coverage and life insurance. Also be sure to check with all credit card companies regarding possible policies on the account. Call the agent for each or write to the headquarters for the appropriate forms for claims. Make sure you keep a written log of who you spoke with and when so that you can track the claims easier. Fire Insurance: remove the name of the deceased from the policies.

Motor Vehicles

Change title for each vehicle, including boats. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at (503) 299-9999.

Safety Deposit Box

If in joint ownership, remove the deceased’s name. If in name of deceased only, inquire with the bank as to what steps need to be taken.

Social Security

Aftercare Cremation & Burial Service will notify the Social Security Department, the family MUST call Social Security to make an appointment if they are eligible for benefits. Call (800) 772-1213 between 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. The requirements are different for each family so you need to get the information from Social Security in order to apply for benefits. In addition, you can access more information via the website: www.ssa.gov

Stock and Bonds

Write to the stock company and ask about their procedure for transferring stocks into your name.

Veterans Administration

Family Memorial Mortuary will help you obtain a US Flag for the next of kin. In most cases, the cemetery of choice will file ordering of a Veteran’s marker or cemetery reimbursement.

VA Regional Office

Office of Memorial Affairs

(Benefits information and assistance)

(800) 827-1000

Voter Registration

To cancel an individual’s voter registration, write a cancellation notice stating that the individual is deceased. Voter registration cancellation should be to:

Sherry Hall
Clackamas County Clerk
Elections Division
1710 Red Soils Court, Suite 100
Oregon City, OR 97045
(503) 655-8510 / TTY (503) 655-1685

Tim Scott
Director of Elections
1040 SE Morrison St.
Portland, OR 97214-2495
(503) 988-3720

Mickie Kawai
Elections Division
3700 SW Murray Blvd. Ste. 101
Beaverton, OR 97005
(503) 846-5800 / TTY (503) 846-4598


Consult an Attorney as Necessary

As this is not a comprehensive guide to required action to be taken in the event of a death. This list is simply a public service list to help you get started on you own. It should not, for any reason, be misconstrued to be any form of legal advice or guide. We are not responsible for any information contained herein, as it was all gathered by contacting agencies and individuals who are not affiliated with our establishments. Be aware that policies, procedures, addresses, phone numbers, prices, etc. may change without our knowledge despite our attempts to keep this list reasonably up-to-date for your convenience.

© Family Memorial Mortuary | Gresham, OR - Funeral Home Website Design By Frazer Consultants, LLC & TA

Privacy Policy & Terms of Use | Accessibility